Understanding tooth extraction for dentures in Mississauga
Full dentures are for individuals with no natural teeth. The unspoken assumption is that teeth were lost before dentures were designed. The truth is that there are many times when tooth extraction coincides with denture treatment. Some in the Mississauga area can plan tooth replacement with dentures immediately following extraction of remaining natural teeth. The goal with care is to provide a comfortable process that promotes healing and restored function. Often, healing is aided by specific steps taken after teeth are removed.
- Following tooth extraction, the use of tobacco should cease for at least a few weeks. The harsh chemicals in tobacco products rob tissues of oxygen needed for healing.
- Extraction and denture placement occur in the mouth, but the body is involved in healing, which can be taxing. If you feel as though you need a little extra rest, give your body what it needs.
- As tissue is healing, soft foods that do not require a great deal of chewing are best.
- On the day of extraction, we recommend taking medication for pain relief before the effects of numbing medication have worn off.
- If dentures are immediately after tooth extraction, they should be worn all the time for the few days before your follow-up visit.
Denture wear after extraction
One of the purposes of wearing new dentures at all times after tooth extraction is to manage swelling and bleeding. Immediate dentures keep swelling to a minimum and, if removed, may not be able to be re-inserted until swelling subsides.
Rinsing the mouth can promote healing
In addition to managing post-extraction effects with denture wear, healing is also promoted with rinsing that begins the day after teeth have been removed. Salt water is incredibly soothing to irritated tissues. All that is needed is 1/2 teaspoon in about 8 ounces of water. Rinsing up to four times a day prevents the accumulation of food debris at the extraction site and around a new denture.
Dr. Rina Kotecha and her team have a great deal of experience treating a variety of dental concerns. When extraction is needed for dentures or any other reason, our patients are treated with gentleness and respect that provides for their needs.
Call Dentistry on 10 to schedule your visit with Dr. Rina Kotecha.