The Importance of early Orthodontic Treatment for Children
When you think of braces or other orthodontic treatments, teenaged adolescents likely come to mind. But did you know that research has shown that early intervention for children at a younger age can help promote healthier tooth development and reduce the need for more extensive treatment when the child is older? At Dentistry On 10, dentist Dr. Rina Kotecha promotes healthy smiles and oral development for children in the Mississauga, Ontario area with early orthodontic intervention and functional appliance therapy.
Signs of orthodontic issues in children
At regular dental checkups, we will examine your child’s teeth for any signs of abnormalities in their oral development that may need further evaluation or orthodontic treatment. Some of the signs and symptoms to watch out for include:
- Delayed eruption of permanent teeth
- Issues with chewing food properly
- Crowded teeth
- Teeth that are out of place
- Improper jaw alignment (which may be noticeable in your child’s facial profile)
- Chronic mouth breathing instead of nasal breathing
Actual Patient Results
How early orthodontic intervention can help
Even if your child is not showing signs of needing orthodontic treatment, we recommend that children have an orthodontic evaluation prior to their teenage years so that any underlying issues with their tooth or jaw alignment can be addressed at an optimal age. By intervening earlier on in your child’s oral development, we can:
- Create space and reduce crowding that would otherwise prevent the healthy eruption of permanent teeth.
- Help guide permanent teeth into the proper position as they erupt.
- Reduce airway problems.
- Promote the development of a healthy bite and a healthy facial profile.
- Lessen the impact of habits such as thumb-sucking.
- Shorten the time needed for orthodontic treatment at an older age.
When your child is older, and all of their permanent teeth have erupted, the second stage of orthodontic treatment will focus on proper alignment of the teeth. With early intervention, some children do not need a second phase of orthodontics because their tooth spacing and bite have naturally enabled their permanent teeth to grow into a healthy position.
To schedule an orthodontic consultation for your child at Dentistry On 10, call our Mississauga, ON office today at (905) 455-9262!
Share this Article
Back to Children’s Orthodontics Page