When is in-office teeth whitening an alternative to veneers for Mississauga patients?
Perfect celebrity smiles
Causes of discoloration
The majority of our population has naturally white permanent teeth. A host of circumstances, though, can tarnish smiles:
- Negligent hygiene. The primary cause of stained
teeth is failureto brush and floss (properly and often), and maintain twice-a-yearprofessional hygiene appointments at Dentistry on 10.
- Diet. Dark beverages like coffee, tea, cola, and red wine leave pigment behind. Berries, apples, and potatoes also stain teeth.
- Tobacco. All forms of tobacco – cigarettes, cigars, and smokeless – darken tooth enamel.
- Health conditions. Some diseases and infections
impact thecolor of tooth enamel, and medications (antihistamines, antipsychotic drugs, and high blood pressure meds), chemotherapy, and radiationmay tinge teeth. Even mouth rinses containing cetylpyridinium chlorideor chlorhexidine can be discoloration culprits.
- Dental work. “Silver” amalgam fillings and metal or porcelain fused to metal crowns give teeth an unnatural color.
- Age. Over time, the white enamel layer thins,
showing yellowishdentin underneath. Genetics plays a role, also. Some families havethicker tooth enamel.
- Other causes. Excessive fluoridation or trauma may result in discoloration.
When to whiten
Veneers are a versatile way to conceal many types of
When a patient has healthy alignment and teeth that are
Do you want a dentist who helps you make informed