No matter what your age, it is important to practice preventative dental care
. When you maintain good oral hygiene habits every day and schedule your regular check-ups with your family dentist, you benefit by keeping your smile healthy, bright, and beautiful for many years! Dr. Kotecha and her associates of Mississauga, Ontario discuss with thier patients the ways to prevent cavities, plaque, tartar, and the development of periodontal disease with these simple tricks and techniques:
- Patients are encouraged to brush their teeth at least two times a day. This should be done with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Brushing the teeth and gums removes food particles from the surfaces of the teeth, and can brush plaque away. Patients should not forget to brush their tongue, as this not only removes food particles but can assist in maintaining fresh breath.
- Patients should floss every day. This can be done once a day, at night, to remove food particles from the mouth. Patients can also pair this with mouthwash to freshen breath and kill bacteria that can linger where the toothbrush couldn’t reach.
- Patients are educated on maintaining a healthy diet. Sugar and highly acidic foods and drinks can increase the risk of cavities in a patient’s smile. Diets high in fruits, vegetables, and dairy products can assist in keeping a smile healthy and strong.
- Patients should remember to schedule regular check-ups and examinations with their dentist. Patients of all ages can benefit from two visits a year. During these visits, Dr. Kotecha and her associates provide a thorough examination and a deep professional cleaning.
- Patients may consider the benefits of dental sealants to help protect their teeth. This coating is a plastic that is applied to the tops of the molars where the teeth are more susceptible to tooth decay and plaque build-up.
- Patients should protect their teeth during sports with special mouthguards. Dr. Kotecha and her associates can provide these for those who are in high-impact sports such as football.
If you are a patient in the Mississauga community and have not seen the dentist in over six months, we highly encourage you to contact Dentistry On 10
to schedule a consultation appointment and initial examination to start maintaining your healthy smile for life.
Download printable instructions for brushing and flossing.
Brushing: Step 1
Place your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to your gum.
Brushing: Step 2
Brush gently in a circular motion.
Brushing: Step 3
Brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of each tooth.
Brushing: Step 4
Use the tip of your brush for the inner surface of your front teeth.
Flossing: Step 1
Wind about 18 inches of floss around your fingers as shown. Most of it should be wrapped around one finger, and as the floss is used, the other finger takes it up.
Flossing: Step 2
Use your thumbs and forefingers to guide about one inch of floss between your teeth.
Flossing: Step 3
Holding the floss tightly, gently saw the floss between your teeth. Then curve the floss into a C-shape against one tooth and gently slide it beneath your gums.
Flossing: Step 4
Slide the floss up and down, repeating for each tooth.
- Sedation Dentist Mississauga - Mississauga dentist offers sedation and reflexology to ease fears
A friendly and family like atmosphere.
Quality, professionalism, patience, dedicated service, works with your budget which makes it affordable.
~ Balbir B.