Dentist in the Port Credit area explains the importance of seeking treatment for a toothache
Many believe that dental emergencies only involved trauma or injury to a tooth. The reality is that some of our most urgent emergencies occur when a patient is experiencing a severe and persistent toothache. Tooth pain is never normal and should be evaluated by a dentist as soon as possible to assess the problem.
While over-the-counter pain relievers, compresses or heat therapy may temporarily relieve the pain of a toothache, they will not treat the underlying issue. If left untreated, the source of the toothache can progress and cause serious damage to the mouth.
Two of the most common reasons for toothaches are cavities and infection.
Cavities form when an area of the tooth has become damaged by decay. Patients who receive regular dental care will usually find out about a cavity from their dentist, as the condition may not have had enough time to progress and cause pain. Aside from that, the first physical sign of a cavity is tooth pain. The pain can vary, ranging from a minor ache all the way to a throbbing pain. Sometimes the pain is only present when eating, other times the pain can be persistent regardless of activity.
Pain from a cavity will only go away with proper treatment. By receiving treatment, such as a filling, the pain will be relieved and the risk of subsequent tooth damage diminishes.
When the bacteria that forms in a cavity is left untreated, it can spread to the gums. Gum disease is an infection of the gums that can cause inflammation and bleeding. If left untreated, gum disease can progress and lead to receding gums, bone loss, and eventual tooth loss.
Infections within the tooth can progress to the pulp chamber, where the blood supply and nerve endings are housed. For many patients, this also causes the sharp pain of a toothache to change to a dull ache. Even though the pain has changed, the infection is still present and able to spread. Immediate treatment is important to help save the tooth and protect nearby teeth.
At Dentistry on 10, we are committed to helping our patients in the Port Credit area with their oral health. Whether its preventative services or helping you address dental problems, we are available to help. For more information, contact us today.
Back to Home page
- Dentist in Mississauga - Dentist in Mississauga offers quality services for your whole family
- Dentist in Port Credit - Dentist in the Port Credit area explains the importance of seeking treatment for a toothache
- Dentistry Services in Mississauga - What are some common dentistry services provided by Dentistry on 10 in Mississauga?
- Port Credit Dental Services - Dental services for the whole family in the Port Credit area
- Dentist Mississauga, ON - Why Mississauga, ON patients benefit from dentist-provided teeth whitening services
- Dentistry Services in Port Credit - Benefits of preventative dentistry services in the Port Credit area